Sopiva, the Finnish Association for Conciliatory Journalists, is a registered association that was founded by some of the journalists who participated in the research project’s workshops. The aim of the association is to serve as a forum and a resource for journalists and other professionals of media and communication who are interested in discussing and developing further the ideas and practices of conciliatory journalism.
- offers collegial support: discussion, development and distribution of best practices and experiences
- organizes events, such as public meetings and lectures
- offers consultation and education for newsrooms and other organizations
- offers support to, and participates in, research and development projects
- applies for funding for such projects
- collaborates with international partners to share local experiences and develop innovations
Sopiva board members
- Mikko Hautakangas, journalism researcher, University of Tampere (chair)
- Noora Kettunen, freelance journalist (vice chair)
- Matleena Ylikoski, freelance journalist and journalism researcher
- Laura Ahva, journalism researcher, University of Tampere
- Zahra Karimy, high school student and journalist
- Ninni Ahonen, media professional and content editor (vice member)
Sopiva works with international partners to further the discussion about journalism’s social role, to share local experiences and to co-operate in developing journalistic practices and methods.We participate in the Nordic Forum for Social Responsibility in Journalism to organize international events and to co-operate with other networks and organizations. Check out the Nordic Forum’s website for upcoming events and other resources!