Sopiva, the Finnish Association for Conciliatory Journalists, is a registered association that was founded by the journalists and journalism researchers who participated in the Conciliatory Journalism research project during 2016 – 2018. The aim of the association is to serve as a forum and a resource for journalists and other professionals of media and communication field who are interested in discussing and developing further the ideas and practices of conciliatory journalism.
- offers collegial support: discussion, development and distribution of best practices and experiences
- organizes events, such as public meetings and lectures
- offers consultation and education for newsrooms and other organizations
- offers support to, and participates in, research and development projects
- applies for funding for such projects
- collaborates with international partners to share local experiences and develop innovations
Sopiva board members
- Noora Kettunen, freelance journalist (chair)
- Jarno Alastalo, author, lecturer, expert in digital communities (vice chair)
- Mikko Hautakangas, journalism researcher, Tampere University
- Silja Raunio, journalist, YLE
- Sanna Niittykoski, student, Tampere University
- Ninni Ahonen, media professional and content editor
Sopiva works with international partners to further the discussion about journalism’s social role, to share local experiences and to co-operate in developing journalistic practices and methods. We participate in the Nordic Forum for Social Responsibility in Journalism to organize international events and to co-operate with other networks and organizations. Check out the Nordic Forum’s website for upcoming events and other resources!